Monday, October 01, 2007

SEA07: From Singapore to Penang

Sooo... where were we? Ah, yes, on a train, going North, into Malaysia.
 
I thought that having had my passport checked at the train station in Singapore, I would be allowed to sleep (or try to), all the way to KL (Kuala Lumpur). Well... Wrong!! At about 23h (when I was starting to fall asleep), the border police woke me up, and made me follow everyone else on the train, out into the station, to have our passports checked another time. then we had to wait for some 20 more mintes till everybody's passport had been checked, and they would open the doors of the station building so that we could board the train again.
 
Finally we were on our way, and I could sleep (more or less) till we arrived to KL, around 7AM, without too much of delay. Buying another ticket, waiting for my next train, and off we go again... 8 more hours of train travel.
 
Not many people were travelling in the first class carriage (three japanese, a malay and myself), so it was rather quiet. Good oportunity to sleep, read (continuing with "The Illiad"), and enjoying the landscape. Towards noon, another young malay guy entered the carriage and asked me where I was from, and whether I would mind to be interviewed for some freelance TV program they were producing. Of course I could not decline. :-D
 
Some time after the interview, we arrived to Butterworth. The TV crew where going into town to get a van and drive back south, and I was taking the ferry to Penang and Georgetown.
 
 


No comments: